BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

And we question why kids are the way they are...

So, I watched MTV Awards this morning and I have no further questions about why the teenagers of today are the way they are. MTV is geared toward pre-teens/teens/young adults. It consists of talk shows, cartoons, reality tv, and lastly - videos. Lots of sex, scantily dressed women, life made for the tv (which we know isn't REAL), sexually confusing people, and superstars that come from nothing and now have shiny grills.
The best kiss was awarded to Will Ferrel and Sasha Baron Coen. Fine - for me, but what is a 9 year old gonna think?? There was kissing and skin showing all over the MTV awards - it had a real gay overtone. Again - fine with me, I think that stuff is funny, but what about the 9 year old?

So, I guess it all boils down to the parents (as always) who the hell would let their kid watch this stuff? Maybe it's different in the suburbs and rural areas - I doubt it - but most of the parents of my kids are single mothers, they have to work, either the kid is a latchkey kid or watched by someone else. Our students see more than I do, tv/movie wise. And to further that, they get more action than I do. (and remember I teach 6-8th grade...) It's sickening. There's no one to blame or too many to blame and that's what I'm really looking for today...so I blame MTV and BET for that matter.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

I could not agree with you more! The parents do need to be more responsible, BUT we as a society need to stand up and say enough is enough. We have to be the change we want in this world and by voicing our opinions on stuff like this, it gets others thinking and talking. I am ready - let's do it.

Man, great minds think a like. Did I mention I miss you?

Kodi Logan said...

i know what you mean girl!iteach the same grades and those kids know more about sex than me! i have kids who have had more sexual partners by 8th grade than the average person has in 1 lifetime!