BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 14, 2008

tapping the firkin

Firkin:
A Firkin is an old English unit of volume. The name is derived from the Middle Dutch word vierdekijn, which means fourth, i.e. a fourth of a full-size barrel.

For beer and ale a firkin is equal to nine imperial gallons or a quarter of a barrel (40.91481 litres). Casks in this size (themselves called firkins) are the most common container for cask ale.

So now that you have educated yourself on what a firkin is, let me tell you the most exciting news. First some background - every so often on fridays 75th St. Brewery has a firkin keg. And also remember that one of the brewers is Mary's husband and also a good friend of mine. Anyway - I think I have it set up so that I can tap the Firkin Keg tonight at 75th St. For no reason at all this makes me VERY excited. I'm really excited for the photo opportunities of me tapping a Firkin Keg.

I'll be doing it around 5:30-6 if anyone wants to come to this momentous occasion.

0 comments: