BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 28, 2008

In da Center...

This is a concern-full blog. I have been having a lot of struggle with my current position in my school district. I am currently teaching a Cross Categorical (many disabilities and levels) room in the middle school. I was hired to teach in their Emotional Disorder classroom - which as I understood it also had a classroom at the elementary and high school - making it somewhat of a district program. After my first year (most of my students were 8th graders) my students moved up to the high school and one by one, almost all of them were placed in outside placements because - they didn't have a self-contained classroom, nor anyone in place to support their needs. Also - the next year, they took my position away (totally, like it didn't exist anymore) and had me teaching something called Curriculum Support. Rather like a study hall for students in special education. Then this year, they gave me back my ED classroom, and when I got the kids, what I realized was it was a cross cat. room. AND what I have since found out is that the way it works in the elementary is that when they have kids that they just can't deal with elsewhere, they stick them in 'this' room - which when they get to middle school is MY room.
I'm not happy teaching cross cat. I would much rather teach curriculum; like reading, or be in a district with an actual ED program.
At this point - there isn't anything for me if I stay, no hope to be doing something I agree with or love. I also am not happy with the Special Education program that they have district wide. I do not think we are capable of serving kids that we should be able to.
I have no idea where I should go from here or if I should. I don't know what district would be better or more suited. I hand picked Center and am disappointed that it did not turn out to be what it was supposed to be. Do I get out and search for that? I'm not even sure if it exists. I just know I have to get away from the cross cat. room - I thought they were leaning away from that in education.
Also, my para put in her 2 weeks today. I'm dreading that. I don't really know who/what they will put in her place. I do know that it will make more work for me. But I also understand how stressful our room is and how she doesn't want to do it anymore. So I gave her my blessing - mostly so she wouldn't feel guilty. Her last day will be a sad day for me. Happy for her though.
I'm not really looking for any answers from my readers - but it's just helpful to get my thoughts out there.

1 comments:

Alicia said...

I can't imagine what that feels like. Good luck with working through this and e-mail me if you need help. A