BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 11, 2010

Work to live or live to work

I wasn't quite sure where this blog was going - I know I'd had some feelings today that I needed to look at and analyze. Sometimes it helps for me to talk things out - so I blogged it out.


Lately, I've really been engrossed in my personal life. Maybe it's the new year and the new prospect of something different coming my way. Maybe it's the excitement of making changes. Regardless of the reasons, I'm really hooked. Which presents a small, problem for me at work. I don't care. I really don't stress the dead lines. I really don't stress the paperwork. I do try to do quality work, as I always have. But really - I don't stress it. I am way more into what's going to happen at home. I would much rather research recipes than work on the RED I have to have finished by last Friday. It only bothers me that I'm not bothered by the huge amount of paperwork that was missed over last week or the timelines up-coming. I feel like they will come and they will go, and I'll get the work done (at some point). In fact, my whole focus (which in the last 5 years has solely been on paperwork and getting it done before/on time, remember - I'm sped) is almost changing. I really am more interested in my delivery of the lesson and the quality and efficiency of the lesson I'm teaching. I've said this before, and I might just say it again, but it might be time for me to transition into regular education. I still want to teach, I just think I might be over the sped paperwork. I guess it is time to suck it up and buy that Science praxis study guide. The irony of it is, I really enjoy what I'm teaching this year. I mean, I REALLY like it. I've NEVER done the same job at this school - every year has been something different. I worry that next year they will try to move me to the alternative school (insert long story here). I think I'll want something different, and if not by next year than definitely after that. So where to go from here. I've always thought that teaching Science, like 6th or 7th grade would be cool. They learn such fun stuff. All I have to do is take a test and pass it. No joke! The extra certification wouldn't hurt me anyhow. And then, I wouldn't be responsible for a caseload of kids with a plethora of paperwork to do. I could just spend my time creating and excellent curriculum full of AWESOME lessons. Sounds good, huh?!

The beginning of 2010 has been so exciting. I've really turned over a lot of leaves. And I've already stuck with me for a little over a week!



I picked up a students book today, Love, star girl by Jerry Spinelli and this is what I read (what I can remember anyhow: 'I love new beginnings. If I were in charge of the calendar everyday would be January 1st!' It's exactly how I feel today.

BTW - I LOVE Jerry Spinelli's books. Especially Star Girl....

1 comments:

April said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. While I never thought I would be the one who "drops out" of sped, I LOVE teaching regular ed. I still have some sped kids, but I don't have to worry about paperwork. I get to focus on my lessons and grading. Grading is my LEAST favorite thing to do, and my kids all know it because I'm horrible about letting it pile up until it drives me crazy. My advice is if you want to teach Science and that's what will make you happy, then you should go for it!