BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, January 07, 2010

semi-retract

Well...wouldn't you know as soon as I pat myself on the back for feeling better about finances, someone goes and blows it. That someone would probably be me. But I'd like to thank my mortgage company for their hand in it. Geez! Yesterday was rough...but today I am feeling better. I was spring loaded to do something about my seemingly never ending money problems, so if anything I'm glad that came out of my rough day. In a nutshell, I never realized that the amount you pay for mortgage could change. But it does. And now I know, and knowing is half the battle right? The other half is having a budget and sticking to it. So last night I prepared a budget that seemingly works on paper. I'm going to look through it again later today. And if all goes well, I'll stick to it this year and things will be looking so much better for me next year at this time and you won't have to endure anymore finances suck blogs. Here are some things I'm going to change also throughout the year to help with the situation (and if you have any suggestions):
-make a list for groceries/household needs, buy only things on said list
-plan meals
-watch my checking account more closely (check it online daily)
-open up all my mail and read it
-find a rich man to marry and take over my finances (just kidding)
-buy all Christmas presents before labor day

It is just a learning process and every year is getting better - it's just baby steps and hard to really see the differences, but there are differences!

5 comments:

April said...

Just curious Bonnie, but how did your mortgage amount change? I'm taking by your blog that it changed quite a bit. How so? That makes me question if mine will change as well...

One thing I'm also doing (in fact, I'm doing it tonight during the football game) is I'm putting in all my spending for 2009 in a budget worksheet. I just searched online for a free budget and came across several good ones. Anyway, I'm putting in all my spending just to see where my money went last year. For instance, I taught summer school, and I have NO IDEA where that money is. It's just gone. I spent every penny I guess. You might try that just to see your spending habits. I'm also going to try to keep up with this budget worksheet each month to see if my spending is changing for the year. Hopefully it will!!! :) Good luck!

bonnie said...

It really just went up like $70 a month. This was due to a change in my home owners insurance and taxes. I haven't quite gotten to the bottom of it, though. I guess the change went into affect last march/april, but I didn't see anything until last month - I called and they couldn't tell me what was going on. This month they were much more capable of telling me the reason for the change etc. It is just a big piece of crap really. Such is life - we learn. I do a budget sheet. I'm pretty certain as to where my money goes. I think sticking to an actual budget will be the best - hopefully I can do it.

bonnie said...

Also - April if you want to know more about the mortgage thing, I can explain it better - give me a call or something.

Stacy said...

good list! The whole mortgage thing sucks though.

April said...

That makes sense I guess. It just sucks big time. :( Now that I've done the budget sheet for last year, I see where my money went. Surprisingly, I didn't spend as much money as I thought I did on eating out. That was good news. The bad news? Walmart was up there every month! Oh boy...