
Kansas City has this jewel of a diner - Town Topic. Many people don't go there. I'm not sure as to whether it's the lack of space to eat, the dirtiness of the trailer, the cracked-out waitresses, or maybe they don't like diner food. I was virgin to this place until I met Natalie. Then one night after having some drinks, she thought we needed a Truck Stop from Town Topic. I remember thinking, 'I need to call my dad and tell him I'm here. I'm sitting here eating at Town Topic.' I am sure I thought that because it's a landmark - and I've heard dad talk about it.
Anyway. That was the first experience. And yes, it was beautiful. My Truck Stop is a plate full of hash browns, eggs, meat of your choice (I usually choose none, but like the bacon), cheese, and onions. They cook it on the big grill and pile it together, cut it up and pile it on your plate. So it's all together. You also get 2 pieces of toast coated in that yummy lard/butter stuff they use in diners.
The sexy thing about Town Topic is that it could be like the first time every time. I love that.
After me an Natalie hit up town topic, I kept telling people about it. I of course couldn't remember the name of what we ate (Truck Stop) and lovingly called it a Hay Stack.
So - last night went in and ordered the regular, One Truck Stop with onions and sausage (natalie), One Hay Stack with onions and bacon (me), and then two coffees and two waters.
Our mouth waters while we wait for our delicacies. I drink up the coffee because it tastes like the best coffee I've ever had. [let me note, this is probably our most sober visit!] We get our plates and go to work like it's our full time job. I have never finished a full plate. Never. Natalie has done it once, I was so amazed. So we made it our business to actually finish both our plates. And we did! I didn't think I could do it - but I really powered through. I finished it and all the toast. It was fing phenomenal! I know I shouldn't be proud, but I am. I also don't think I'll have to eat for a week.
Salute to Town Topic and the best late night food I've ever experienced!
Home Sweet Home! by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
3 comments:
My question...did you go straight home and poop!?! I had to ask!
We ate at a similar place called the Golden Pancake in STL this weekend. It was a lot bigger, but very dirty. One of the best breakfast I have ever had. Jason had a burger with bacon, cheese and an egg. (Everything a person could ever want or need, so he said.) He was pretty sure he was going to have a heart attack later in the day!!!
i love places like that! i'm always hunting for little dives, but we never end up really going to any. we go to the same places all the time. it was maria's forever...now it's jimmy johns!
ahhh gluttony. What a wonderful sin.
Stacy
Post a Comment