This summer I decided to change a few more things about my every day diet that would be healthful for me. Many of you know I had already quit drinking soda. This has had a dramatic effect alone, I lost 10 pounds right of the bat and haven't put it back on. I also decided to join a CSA - Grower's Alliance in which I get 2 bags of food (meat, veggies, fruit, milk & eggs) every week for $25 and it's all organic, and grown around here. All the meat I get is free of antibiotics and growth hormones. Along with this, I decided to try and eliminate white sugar from my diet as well as white flour. So at home, I've been successful. Going out to eat, not so much - but I can choose not to go out to eat. I found a delicious Wheat flour pancake recipe that I wanted to share.
Wheat pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon common granulated sugar (I use honey instead of the sugar and just add about a tablespoon or 2 of it in the batter - I've been doing this consistently all summer with lots of recipes and it works really well)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons oil
I either spray a pan with pam or put a little bit of butter in it. Heat it on medium.
Mix the flour, sugar/honey, baking powder and salt in one bowl. In another bowl, mix the egg, add milk and 2 tablespoons of oil. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. (Or if you are like me and don't like to dirty bowls, I mix the dry and then add in the wet and then mix it all together).
Then make your pancakes. I add fruit to mine before frying. I've done blueberries and banana - I think anything you like would work well (nuts too).
I will probably make all recipes with wheat flour as time goes on and I use it even more. The difference in taste is not extraordinarily different and it's better for me.
The only other thing I've done is that while shopping I am very aware of the ingredients in anything I buy. If I don't know what an ingredient is, I don't buy it - I look for the product with the fewest ingredients. So far - so good. It's really dramatically changed how I look at meat. But Food Inc. did that and before that was Jillian's Metabolism book - so this really isn't new thinking for me. And if you haven't seen Food Inc., you should. If you want a great read on nutrition, you should read Jillian Michael's Metabolism book. Mine's loaned out right now and has a waiting line of 1, but I'm totally willing to share when it becomes available.
Home Sweet Home! by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
1 comments:
I am so proud of you! You are just hitting everything head on and doing what's best for you. That is just awesome! I want to read her book as well. A friend of mine read it but isn't taking everything to heart like you are. Maybe one of these days I'll get back off my butt and do something about my health and weight. I've totally let myself go this summer. No workouts at all--just eating and relaxing. I'm hoping when the routine of school hits me again, I'll get back into it once again. Good luck!!
Post a Comment