I wasn't really going on summer vacation. I was just going to go up and spend some time riding my bike in IA with my friend Carrie. Usually, when I go and stay at peoples houses, it doesn't feel much like a vacation. And actually, recently (in the last few years) have decided that I need to probably stay in a hotel when I go and visit places where friends reside. It's a personal feeling that it is too stressful on the residing friend, and disappointing on my want-to-do-vacation-y-things self. So, I did not have the feeling that I was going on vacation, I simply thought I would carrying out something I said I would do. I couldn't have been more wrong. Let me start at the beginning. A slide show (my new way of doing pics on here, it's lazy and easy!) will be at the end.
I packed up and headed out early - I had several things to take care of before I actually started to head toward Carrie's house. I needed to drop Maggie off at the vet (they board her), and then get some coffee along with a bag of coffee for Carrie's parents. I had lots of thoughts as to what to get them, but this is such a nice and travel-able gift. My car was full of gas and I was off to meet Carrie at her house. Then we were on the road. We only made a few stops prior to getting off I-29. I wasn't really sure after getting of 29 where we were or how far we had to go. Instead of getting gas at a Casey's that we stopped at, because I still had 1/4 of a tank left, I just kept traveling. Well, it wasn't too long before my gas light came on. I texted Carrie and told her we needed to stop before 40 miles. I guess this was a problem. There wasn't anything. We did stop in this town of Melvin, IA. Carrie pulled up to the old school looking pump. I pulled next to her and said something like, "Are you serious? I don't even know how to use this." Anyway, lots of laughs ensued. I tried to use my debit card, but I guess you needed a gas card??? It didn't work out so we made our way to Medford, IA. In the end, I think I could have just made it to Carrie's parents house, but I'm glad we stopped and filled up when we did. It was pretty funny. I kept thinking - if I run out of gas, that will make for a great blog! But I didn't, so you'll have to settle for something mediocre at best.
Got some gas, traveled on to Carrie's parents house. It was so nice to not be driving. We sat and visited, unloaded our cars, and then prepared to head our for the night. They had planned to drive around the 30 mile ride we would be riding the next day (BRASL - Bike Ride Around Spirit Lake) and then go to the theater. We drove around it, I felt more confident after seeing the scenery. I was pretty excited that it was all rural views and mostly on trails. (I've never seen so many bike trails - it was awesome). The community theater was fun. It was a farce, and hilarious. The actors were pretty good. I was very impressed.
We went home and prepared for the next day - it would be an early morning and then 30 miles on our bikes. The longest either of us had rode. I'm very thankful to my brother for loaning me his camelpack. It came in very handy.
The ride itself was awesome. We were already 3 miles in before I realized the ride had actually started and we were on it. I did my traditional exploration of shifting, which if I have paid for the ride, always results in the chain falling off while riding up a hill. I got through that on mile 4 or 5 and then the rest of the ride was cake. The views were beautiful. They had lots of fruit and cookies at the rest stops - there were 2. The hills were okay, not too intimidating. I actually rode through a soybean/corn field (the trail went through there). We rode around Loon Lake, which took us into Minnesota. (so far I've ridden my biked in 4 states - MO, KS, IA, MN) The trail for the 30 mile bikers was not clearly marked so we lost some mileage - about 6 miles, but regardless, it's still the longest ride I've done. I think we figured it was around 24 miles. I would do the ride again. Mostly, I would just go up there and ride. The weather was beautiful, and perfect. The view of midwest cornfields, soy bean fields, and lakes was awesome. We had a great time.
After the ride, we lounged for the day. I normally read a lot on vacations, so this might have been the start of me feeling like I was on vacation. I was comfortable enough to pull out my book and read it. I don't think I was aware yet I was on vacation though. It wasn't until probably the next day that I felt the relaxation and stress and world-on-my-shoulders feeling go away. It was an actual realization, a moment, in which I realized I felt like I was on vacation. This made me incredibly happy. The rest of the time was wonderful, and full of fun times. Carrie's parents were so easy going and fun to be around. I am very grateful to them for all the wonderful food. I also really enjoyed playing cards (canasta and golf). They were just so much fun and so easy to be around. I couldn't have asked for a better visit. I definitely want to treat them to some Kansas City fun when they come down next.
I had the best time and didn't want to leave Okoboji, IA. I wanted to stay and ride my bike every morning for the rest of my life. Alas, I can't make that happen yet. So, I came back by way of Clarinda, IA and visited Shannon. She is expecting and should be having a baby any day now. Her and Andrew (husband) also bought a house, it was nice to see her, Andrew and the house (it's beautiful!). But by mid-morning on Wednesday, I was ready to come home and see my Maggie. I wish I could work it out where she just came with me on vacation.
I made it home, but I really think I could have stayed the whole month out just wandering from place to place. Who knows where I would have gone or ended up.
Here's what I took away from my almost a week away:
-I am going to take Electra! on a vacation every year
-Carrie is an awesome friend (already knew this) with just as awesome parents/family
-I would like to own a place at Okoboji, even if it's just a shack
-The midwest is beautiful and very green (right now).
-Iowans make fun of you when you want to take pictures of yourself in the corn
-IF most of the food in the US comes from the midwest, we only eat corn, soybeans, cows, and chicken.
-I am becoming more and more obsessed with the paranormal.
-I love small towns.
-playing cards is fun and should be done more often
-I want a laptop/ipad to take everywhere with me.
-I couldn't have picked a better road trip. It was perfect!
Home Sweet Home! by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago


2 comments:
I had been looking forward to this blog-o-yours. It was a good one! Glad you had fun, sounds like fun, LOVE to bike ride!
Paranormal huh???
I am so proud of you! 30 Miles!!! My parents honeymooned at Spirit Lake. I <3 Iowa!
Post a Comment