I went on an awesome trip last year to Okoboji (Arnold's Park, Spirit Lake) Iowa. It was so life changing and full of awesomeness, I decided I'd do it again this year. You can see the blog and pics of it if you click on 'trip' in the first sentence. Definitely fun for me to read again. This year I drove up by myself on the fourth of July. I had to take 71 hwy. up the whole way because of the flooding and I-29 being closed. It was a different view, slower drive and I loved it. I didn't take as many pictures this time, I wish I did, but I did take in the beauty. So of course the main goal on the trip is to ride BRASL. We had decided to do the 50 miles this year. The longest I've ever ridden was about 30 miles (and that was a year ago). I knew that the Electra and I couldn't make 50 miles together (we're too damn heavy and take too much energy). So I invested in Schwinn. Schwinn is a beautiful yellow, and, like me, from the 1970's. I had Family Bicycles take a look and fix it up. I put on some transition pedals with one side clips and the other flat. I wasn't sure about clips, now I love them. I also am okay with the pedals I purchased. They don't have too good of a rep, but are perfect for me right now. I wasn't a fan of Schwinn, so taking it to ride 50 miles was scary. I brought along Electra (yep, traveled with both bikes on back) just incase. Plus I knew Electra would want to take a trip and tour of Okoboji again. I actually did ride both bikes while I was there. I arrived on July 4, we had a wonderful dinner and then Carrie and I went to see the fireworks at Arnolds Park. They were great - and the people watching was spectacular! There are lots of things I like to do while in Okoboji, but going to the Family Diner has to be one of my favorites. Carrie's parents are regulars and it's a small town anyhow - so it's fun to see everyone stop by our booth and listen to her parents talk with everyone. I really like that kind of life. While I also love the anonymity of the city, sometimes you get lost in the crowd. It's just a different experience. The diner also has awesome food, and if you didn't know how much I loved breakfast food, you do now. I got to do many other new things that we didn't do last year. Carrie's mom volunteers at the Nature Center - which is so impressive! I learned quite a bit in the bit of time we spent there. It is really a cool place. We went strawberry picking and picked enough strawberries to last us a week. Carrie made a really good angel food cake! The strawberries have ruined me for anything we have in the store though. They were so tasty! I cannot say enough thanks and gratitude for Carrie and her parents treating me to a wonderful vacation for the second year in a row. I love having dinner with them and hanging out. Carrie's mom taught me a new way to make ribs (can't wait to do this for my dad's birthday coming up) and reminded me about hobo dinners (you know when you throw a lot of different stuff in some foil and grill it). I love those. She also taught me another trick - use the mandolin to do that potatoes - they cook so fast. I introduced them to basil infused olive oil. Hardly a trade off for everything she taught me and all the wonderful food we ate, but made some pretty good tomato and mozz salad. I know Carrie's mom used it in several dishes afterwards. It is amazing how much flavor those infused olive oils add to a dish.
We rode our bikes everyday except for Friday. I got used to the Schwinn - didn't love it yet, but I was comfortable with the clips and doing pretty well with the shifting and everything. Carrie was able to supply me with some gloves (which I found out I really needed) and the local bike shop had some bike shorts (yeah, the ones with padding) which I also found out I really needed (and was excited to find out that I fit into them fine).
So, I was duded out and ready to go for Saturday. We decided we would start a little early because we knew it would take us a little longer. So we were in downtown Spirit Lake around 7am. But it was raining. We held out for 30 minutes and then got our start. The roads were wet, but the bikes handled fine. We were off to a fantastic start. The first 13 miles weren't so bad, pretty good actually. We hit our first sag stop, I slowed down to park next to Carrie and my front brake popped out, and even though I had one foot out of the clips I fell over (probably because I was going so slow and surprised by the lack of brake all of a sudden). My chain fell off (not really a problem - just added to the hot mess). I just looked at Carrie and was like wtf?! We were chatting as we got drinks and snacks and she mentioned her tire was low. So low tire and minus a front break - we headed off. I don't remember the miledge, but we stopped next in Jackson, Minnesota. Carrie changed her tire (in 9 minutes = rockstar!). And we stopped at Caseys, used the bathroom etc. This is the part of the ride that I saw the most damage from the flooding that is still occurring up north. Part of the trail we were supposed to ride was flooded out. After our stop we continued on, into a head wind. At this time, it was the longest 7 or so miles of my life. I actually wasn't sure I was going to make it. I ran out of energy with about 2 miles to the sag stop. But I pushed through and made it somehow. Then we started off again, up another hill (did I mention head wind, and up hill). This hill was the steepest of our climb, and it curved. Once we got up it, the head wind changed into a side wind and the road became a little bit flatter and not as much uphill (although still up hill a bit). A side wind proved much worse than the head wind. It was all the grip I had to stay on the road. By this time, my lady parts were hurting bad and I was really tired of riding. But Schwinn kept going. At some point in the ride, I stopped at what should have been a sag stop but they were loading up and waited for Carrie. She had decided to have her parents meet her rather than finish it out (because the finish was uphill). I decided I had to finish and did. Carrie and her parents were awesome cheering me on when I made it in. It was a really good feeling. I can't believe that I did it, but I did. Definitely one of my bigger smiles. We celebrated by having some good unhealthy food and a beer, then a nap. It was a great day - and a great vacation. These little weeks in Okoboji have become something I look forward to in the summer. Carrie and her parents are definitely part of my chosen family.
I'm looking forward to riding again - It's been so hot and I've been in class for the last two weeks, so I haven't been out on the bike. I am thinking some early mornings might be necessary before school starts. I miss it. Can't wait for the fall.....
So, I was duded out and ready to go for Saturday. We decided we would start a little early because we knew it would take us a little longer. So we were in downtown Spirit Lake around 7am. But it was raining. We held out for 30 minutes and then got our start. The roads were wet, but the bikes handled fine. We were off to a fantastic start. The first 13 miles weren't so bad, pretty good actually. We hit our first sag stop, I slowed down to park next to Carrie and my front brake popped out, and even though I had one foot out of the clips I fell over (probably because I was going so slow and surprised by the lack of brake all of a sudden). My chain fell off (not really a problem - just added to the hot mess). I just looked at Carrie and was like wtf?! We were chatting as we got drinks and snacks and she mentioned her tire was low. So low tire and minus a front break - we headed off. I don't remember the miledge, but we stopped next in Jackson, Minnesota. Carrie changed her tire (in 9 minutes = rockstar!). And we stopped at Caseys, used the bathroom etc. This is the part of the ride that I saw the most damage from the flooding that is still occurring up north. Part of the trail we were supposed to ride was flooded out. After our stop we continued on, into a head wind. At this time, it was the longest 7 or so miles of my life. I actually wasn't sure I was going to make it. I ran out of energy with about 2 miles to the sag stop. But I pushed through and made it somehow. Then we started off again, up another hill (did I mention head wind, and up hill). This hill was the steepest of our climb, and it curved. Once we got up it, the head wind changed into a side wind and the road became a little bit flatter and not as much uphill (although still up hill a bit). A side wind proved much worse than the head wind. It was all the grip I had to stay on the road. By this time, my lady parts were hurting bad and I was really tired of riding. But Schwinn kept going. At some point in the ride, I stopped at what should have been a sag stop but they were loading up and waited for Carrie. She had decided to have her parents meet her rather than finish it out (because the finish was uphill). I decided I had to finish and did. Carrie and her parents were awesome cheering me on when I made it in. It was a really good feeling. I can't believe that I did it, but I did. Definitely one of my bigger smiles. We celebrated by having some good unhealthy food and a beer, then a nap. It was a great day - and a great vacation. These little weeks in Okoboji have become something I look forward to in the summer. Carrie and her parents are definitely part of my chosen family.I'm looking forward to riding again - It's been so hot and I've been in class for the last two weeks, so I haven't been out on the bike. I am thinking some early mornings might be necessary before school starts. I miss it. Can't wait for the fall.....
1 comments:
LOVED this blog! So much info it was like a vicarious vacation for me too:) And sounded not only positive and optimistic but a wonderful adventure too. I am impressed with your biking skills and vocabulary but also in how you push yourself. GOOD FOR YOU!
Post a Comment