BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

myth busted!

Myth: Special Educators make more than regular teachers.

Truth - Every public district (in MO) is on a scale, that is published and your wages are based off of your years of experience and amount of education.
Truth - Special Ed. teachers do have more responsibilities than regular educators (IEP, case managers etc.)

Just had to set everyone straight.

4 comments:

April said...

You are so very...right! This is one of the many reasons I got out of special ed. Yes, I miss my kids terribly; yes, I have new responsibilities as a reg. ed. teacher that I didn't have before (10x papers to grade, 10x discipline, etc.), BUT I don't have to do IEPS and EVALS!!!! I don't have someone hovering over me all of the time! YES! Sorry I had to throw that in. At least I can sympathize with you. I've been there.

Alicia said...

I am sorry for you pain, but you crack me up!! :-)

Hang in there and good job for taking the high road!!

bonnie said...

April - thanks! I've been looking into 'getting out'. So it's good to hear that others have actually done it.

Stacy said...

I know that when I left the schools the special ed. teacher I worked with (who has since retired) was shocked that I was going to be making more money than her. I was surprised too.