Micromanager - a person usually in a supervisory position that needs to control every movement of the people/person they supervise.
My supervisor is a micromanager. I believe this is the second year that my supervisor or process coordinator has worked in this position. As a membership development director at Girl Scouts, I also held a position that supervised people -volunteer (as many as 200-300). While I see the difference in the number of people we have experience in supervising and that the jobs on the whole are different, managing people is not. There are several ways to manage people, several hundreds of books written on the subject. Any one of these books would help my supervisor (do I hear anonymous Christmas gift??!!). As a micromanager she feels the need to exercise her power in negative ways. She writes evaluations with only negative information on them. She points out people's faults in the middle of a team meeting (with all your peers around). She has to oversee every piece of written information given to parents, every decision made for every child in our building. These are the major things, there are several small things that I could discuss here as well. Please don't think that I am not open to seeing that she might feel or have been told that this is in fact her actual job. But any person put into a management position, or even an educational one (working directly with kids) should understand that for every negative, bring three positives. And that you should never call someone (kid or adult) out in front of their peers, that is bully behavior (and several more professional words that I can't remember right now). A person put into management also might know that the people they are managing are professionals, some with a higher degree of education than themselves. They should be treated as such, and when they don't meet expectations, coach them on to being better - give them the knowledge or places where they can gain knowledge to be better at the job. Give them support. And above all, a manager should know that if you expect something from someone, make it known, make your expectations clear from the get go so there are no questions.
These are my 'secrets' to being a quality teacher. It can be so frustrating for me to work with/for someone that can't uphold them or doesn't know how herself. She continually makes comments about how 'literal' I am. This bothers me. I am not a 'literal' person, but I do expect to have the knowledge to do things right the first time. My supervisor does not give that to me. I think it's because she doesn't know until she gets it. And there is some trickle down from her direct supervisor - not all this is on her.
She is just so frustrating to me.
I'm curious to know how many other of my fellow special education teachers out there have to have every piece of document completed before the meeting actually happens? The IEP, the notice of action, manifestation determination, ammendment to the IEP -everything.
Speaking of the notice of action - since when did we have to fill those out for every little thing? And the wording is so awkward - what urban parent is going to be able to understand it? I feel like everytime I have to use the bathroom I need to fill out a notice of action and have her check it over before I go. Ridiculous.
Enough of my rant. I've chosen the higher road this year to just do what people tell me to do, and go above and beyond for the kids like normal. I feel that there will be a door available for me to open, and when that time comes, open sesame!
Home Sweet Home! by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
3 comments:
Yes, the N of A's have become ridiculous this year. If we don't have all the necessary forms filled out at meeting time, we just add them at the end. Sometimes I forget b/c they've added so many rules with the paperwork. My PC is awesome though. So, is my district, so I'm pretty fortunate. Maybe you can step in and take this job over some day. Or would you want it?
I'm glad to hear someone else is having to fill out NOA's as much as I. Good to hear you have a good PC. I don't want my PC's job, but I've been told by all my co-workers that I'm a shoe-in and they'd rather have me than her. I don't think I'd ever want to do their job. I'm a teacher.
Sorry your boss sucks. I know the feeling.
We try to work from a coaching standpoint. Maybe you can "coach" her to reevaluate her style for better results. If that doesn't work you can just look for a new job and punch her in the mouth.
Post a Comment