BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 19, 2012

A New Year

12 Randoms about the beginning of School Year 2012-2013 

(Thanks as always, Kodi for the inspiration)

1. I didn't have much summer, a few weeks off - I enjoyed those weeks off though.  It was spent in preparation of John moving in.  Some of the best cleaning out I've ever done in my life.  It really helped focus and get my mind set in a good organized place for this school year - very thankful.  (more on john moving in later)

2.  I no longer DREAD going to work.  I do worry about not having a curriculum and having to rewrite a curriculum.  But I keep it under control, AND I got a beautiful, talented and amazing co-worker to work with this year that will be very valuable in this area.  As always, when I need something, there it is.

3.  I love teaching Science, I love that I'm still learning as the kids are learning.  They think I'm a scientist, little do they know...I'm just a student like them with a mastery of classroom management.

4.  My classroom is bold, colorful, beautiful and fun to teach in.  I love that it is that way.  I want to improve upon that every year.  I smile when I walk in.

5.  Volleyball has started, and while working 10 hour days is hard and long, it's going to be an awesome year.  I also feel that it will go by extremely fast.

6.  I'm taking a day by day teaching perspective this year.  I'm really thinking about the steps I want to teach them, how I want to teach them and what I want my students to get out of it.  It's been interesting to force myself to slow down and not plan ahead.  I'm really watching how the students process the information I am giving them.  I really feel like doing this is ultimately going to lead me to writing the best curriculum for my students (which is the point).

7.  I'm getting up about 15-30 minutes earlier this year and it is making all the difference, in my appearance and  being able to drink coffee, eat a little breakfast and be really ready for the day.  I like it, but I'm definitely in bed by 10. 

8.  Thinking back about my sped days, and the feelings that came with the last few years, I really appreciate my new found love for my job.  It really makes and has made an overall difference in my life as a whole.  Once I had the opportunity to change my position everything in my life seemed to switch to hopeful feelings and all has fallen into place.  It's a lovely memory and thought.  I'm very very thankful.

9.  When I think about the future, I think about how easy it will be to take what I finally put together as a curriculum and adapt it year by year as the classes change.  It will be so nice to go in and know already what I'm going to do rather than continually creating.  I'll be able to just modify and create around my students. 

10.  I love my school.  We are truly the best urban district in MO.  We won't ever meet AYP, but we've met everything that the state has expected us to with high standards.  It feels good knowing that my hard work is paying off for my students - having watched my school atmosphere change over the last 6 years has been all the progress I need to see.  And it truly and continues to be progressive.

11.  I am no longer afraid of phones or technology in the classroom.   In fact, I will be embracing it.

12.  I think I'm out of thoughts for the night.  I'll be putting together a blog to post next weekend about my newest chapter in life....my love, who is just a few rooms over watching tv.  :)

0 comments: