BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Free Time...

I don't have much free time, but when I have, I've been doing stuff to my house. Everything is slow going, and dependent on how much money I have at the time. Lately, I've had ZERO, so everything I've done has had to be with stuff I already have.

So the past few weeks I've tackled and started some projects. The first was to investigate flooring. I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart and found exactly what I wanted on sale for $1.69 sq yard. I have been going through the process with them. I won't actually order anything until next weekend. I've been debating on trying to accomplish this project myself and with the help of friends and family. It's only 300 square yards, and would save me hundreds of dollars that I don't have anyway. So all those decisions will have to be final next week. I have already ripped up the carpet. My friend, Natalie came over and we just did it. It was a Friday afternoon and took all of 15 minutes. Here is what we found:













It's pretty funky. After a week of the carpet being gone (and I got it all thrown away, talk about luck). I am feeling good, lung wise. I haven't had any asthma at night even though we are in the height of allergy season. My house smells better. It was just a really good decision. It may take me a while to get the flooring in, but once that is all accomplished, it will be so pretty!!

I also was having some problems with my bathroom sink. The water pressure was really low, I couldn't even really wash my hands in there anymore. Thank god for the internet, I researched all that and figured out that first I needed to check the faucet. Somehow, I figured out how to get it off and realized that the little plastic piece inside was clogged. My dad came over and cleaned it up with a needle, and now it works perfectly!

I decided a few days ago to finally tackle the ever growing yellow jacket in-ground nest in my front yard. I did a lot of research (again, thank goodness for the internet) and found some more humane ways of trying to rid them. I am not a fan of putting lots of chemicals on my yard. I've got an outdoor cat who is all over the place. I don't want her to get sick or bring the chemicals into the house. So I read in a few places that soap will make their nest inhabitable. Many people had put hot/boiling water in a bucket with dishsoap and then poured it down the nest. They left the bucket over the nest for a few days. Well I did this, but couldn't get the bucket to stay over the nest (I was scared!!). But it did kill a lot of them.













There are still some buzzing around, so I might give it a week and then try it again. I never got stung, but I did have a neighbor walk by my house right after I did it and she got stung. She wanted to investigate the bucket in front of my house with the suds. I think she thought there were flies around it and went up to see if it smelled. She got stung twice! That will teach her to sniff around people's buckets in their front yard...ha.

Anyway, all this house stuff can be frustrating at times. It really makes me think about being single and wonder why I am single. I hate doing all this alone. I hate that I have to tackle some of this stuff alone. I do see how strong I am and how much I can handle, but it really makes me want to have a partner to help with these awful tasks. I know he's coming, I'm just really tired of waiting.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Will you come to my house and help me? Jason is no help with all that stuff!!

supinalbion said...

KUDOS! You have been a busy girl. I never EVER could have dealt with the yellow-jacket nest. Those things scare the shit outta me! I am so excited to see pictures of your new flooring when it's done. Good luck! =)

Stacy said...

I am quite impressed with you. Having a mate to do it all makes you lazy (trust me). Independence can be sexy too;)
What kind of flooring are you replacing the carpet with?