It's Inauguration morning - 3:30AM and we're up putting on lots of clothes getting our things together - double checking that we have our tickets. Brian's phone rings and the cab is here to take us to the metro station. And all of a sudden it's 3:45AM and we're out the door and going. It's surreal. I knew that we would have a wait in front of us and that we would be challenge to keep positive and enjoy the situation. I was ready. I'd been gearing up for these very moments for weeks.
On the train, on our way
We arrive at the station and get on a train. We felt lucky because we got to sit down. There wasn't many people on the train yet. The people that were on were in fantastic spirits. We were all united. Going to the same place, rooting for the same team. There were chants, high fives, laughter and and a buzz of excitement. The further we go on the metro towards D.C. the more people get on. And by the time we get off the train at 4AM this is what we see...
The droves of people we expected were there. So out we go and walk toward where we believe our destination is. There are so many people and everyone is excited! We got to the Silver Gate (we had silver tickets). There was a line and the guy at the front of it said he'd been there since 11pm the night before and that we needed to go to the end. So we head up there, it was about 3 blocks away. When we got up there, someone said they were opening up a new gate and we all needed to go there. So hoardes of people start running the 3 blocks to this new gate. By this time there were even more people and we were packed in like sardines and walking like penguins. The guy at the 'new gate' said that he had no knowledge of them opening a second gate and that we should go back...WHAT?!? So Brian and I and probably a few thousand close (in proximity) friends headed the few blocks back. Brian and I ended up in a crowd that stopped around the actual entrance that said SILVER GATE and decidedly that is where we stayed. It was a smart move on our part - we'd find out later.
About 4:30 AM at the Capitol
same time, I think 18 degrees. Brian doesn't look cold at all, huh?!
This is about 5:30-6AM, there's a hint of light at the Capitol and Brian and I still have good spirits.
Between 6 and 7 they opened up the gate and allowed us about a block closer to where we would be released to go through security and then into our sections.
Here's the Capitol around 7 when the sun was coming up. It is possibly my favorite picture. I had a lot of emotion watching the sun rise. It was a new day for America, most of the time I could not believe that I was there taking it all in. And nothing had really happened yet.
Home Sweet Home! by The Pioneer Woman
6 years ago
1 comments:
Very good story telling! I like that last picture too.
Post a Comment